Religion and the Gospel

Monday, April 12, 2010

Religion
I obey; therefore I'm accepted.
Gospel
I'm accepted; therefore I obey.

Religion
Motivation is based on fear and insecurity.
Gospel
Motivation is based on grateful joy.

Religion
I obey God in order to get things from God.
Gospel
I obey to get God - to delight in and resemble Him.

Religion
When circumstances in my life go wrong, I am angry at God or myself, since I believe that anyone who is good deserves a comfortable life.
Gospel
When circumstances in my life go wrong, I struggle, but I know all my punishment fell on Jesus and that while God may allow this for my training, he will exercise his Fatherly love within my trial.

Religion
My prayer life consists largely of petition, and it only heats up when I am in time of need. My main purpose in prayer is control of the environment.
Gospel
My prayer life consists of generous stretches of praise and adoration. My main purpose is fellowship with God.

Religion
My self-view swings between two poles. If and when I am living up to my standards, I feel confident, but then I am prone to be proud and unsympathetic to failing people. If and when I am not living up to standards, I feel humble but not confident--I feel like a failure.
Gospel
My self-view is not based on my moral achievement. In Christ I am simul lustus et peccator - simultaneously sinful and lost, yet accepted in Christ. I am so bad that he had to die for me, and I am so loved that he was glad to die for me. This leads me to deep humility and confidence at the same time.

Religion
My identity and self-worth are based mainly on how hard I work, or how moral I am--and so I must look down on those I perceive as lazy or immoral.
Gospel
My identity and self-worth are centered on the one who died for me. I am saved by sheer grace, so I can't look down on those who believe or practice something different from me. Only by grace am I what I am.

(From Timothy J. Keller's Gospel in Life: Grace Changes Everything, p. 16)

HT: Tim A. Keller

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a username, click the drop-down box and choose "Name/URL". Just enter your name in the space.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP