A Biblical Warning Against Pre-Game Trash Talk

Thursday, March 25, 2010

I read an interesting story last night in 1 Kings 20. The king of Aram decided to pick a fight with Israel. He trash talks them big-time before the battle, basically saying he's going to pulverize them:

"May the gods strike me and even kill me if there remains enough dust from Samaria to provide even a handful for each of my soldiers." (1Ki 20:10 NLT)
The king of Israel responds:
"A warrior putting on his sword for battle should not boast like a warrior who has already won." (1Ki 20:11 NLT)
Israel goes on to defeat Aram soundly:
Each Israelite soldier killed his Aramean opponent, and suddenly the entire Aramean army panicked and fled. (1Ki 20:20 NLT)
I smiled as I thought of certain athletes who are full of arrogant words before the game, then get beaten. Guys, learn a lesson from 1 Kings 20: do your talking after the game! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous,  March 29, 2010 at 12:13 AM  

Good points on this topic. Even after the game maybe we shouldn't trash talk or boast on ourselves of how good we may be. If we choose to boast Paul said to boast about our Lord Jesus Christ in what he has done through us. Would you agree?
Andre

Mike Moses March 29, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

You're absolutely right Andre! As I wrote this post I was mainly thinking of professional athletes, many of whom don't profess to be Christians. But every believer's attitude should be: "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Gal 6:14).

Post a Comment

If you don't have a username, click the drop-down box and choose "Name/URL". Just enter your name in the space.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP