Jesus Did Not Wear a “Kick Me” Sign

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Yesterday evening I checked my mailbox. Junk mail. As usual.

But this time, one of the advertisements caught my eye. It was a postcard from a church in my area – an invitation to their special Easter services. The front of the advertisement read: “We’re nearly as harmless as, well...a bunny.” Followed by a picture of one of those marshmallow “peeps.” I kid you not.

I flipped the card over and read:

“Does the thought of going to church make you uneasy, even a little queasy?
Maybe you’re worried about what to wear or what others will think. At ______,
we’ve worked really hard to make your experience non-threatening, beneficial,
and even fun. We have a no-pressure, laid-back style and everyone is welcome!
Stop by one of our ten Easter Services... it will be more than you expected and
everything you’ve been looking for. Wear whatever you want, just be yourself.
We’ll have the coffee ready for you.”

Now, I’m not aware of a single church that wants to come across as threatening, miserable, and a waste of time. I have no problem with churches that work hard on being welcoming. And I really appreciate good coffee. But something about their whole presentation seemed, frankly...a bit pathetic: Don’t be scared of us! We’re not that bad! We’re “harmless”! We’re nicer and more comfortable than all those other stiff, meanie churches.”

I know there are many “Christians” who have done horrible things in the name of Jesus. I know there are countless individuals who have been hurt by churches. Those situations are sad and should not be swept under the rug. But still...it seems to me that some churches spend way too much time apologizing and trying to “fit in.” Like the kid in high school who will do anything to get friends – only to find out those “friends” mock him behind his back for being so insecure.

Last week I came across the website of a church in Ann Arbor. Their "About Us" page reads:
"Church: a word that has been around for thousands of years, with so many
meanings to different people. You do not need to throw out your definition of
church, but try ours on for size. At ______, church is about people. it's about
you. so we accept you just as you are: church background or not, student,
single, married, single again, with or without kids, rich, poor, young, old,
whatever, we are about real relationships, relevant speakers, real life stories
and rockin' music."

I resonate with some of that statement. I’m all about churches being welcoming and relevant. Nothing is more relevant than the gospel! But again, it comes across as a bit pathetic: "Try ours on for size"?!?

Reminds me of a quote I read on Kevin DeYoung's blog the other day:
"'Oh, please, approve of me'–the usual message of modern Christian churches–makes a feeble substitute for 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.' The trouble with Christianity is not flamboyance of conviction. The trouble is paucity of conviction, flaccidity, the turned cheek replaced by a 'Kick Me' sign" (William Murchison, Mortal Follies, p. 206).

My purpose is not to sit here and point fingers at other ministries. We will all give account of our own ministries before our Master (Romans 14:4, 12). But the two examples I referenced (and many others) make me think about our own church and how we ought to represent the convergence of grace and truth that Christ displayed. The spirit of our age seems to be: “If it sounds harsh, it’s not loving.” However, the Jesus who said “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28) is the same Jesus who also said,
“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to
bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a
daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law - a
man's enemies will be the members of his own household. Anyone who loves his
father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his
cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it,
and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it” (Matthew 10:34-39).

And:
“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to
the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the
world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.
Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If
they persecuted me, they will persecute you also” (John 15:18-20).

Here’s the point: let’s represent Christ well. We must certainly do that by welcoming visitors in love. In fact, we must go beyond that and seek the lost! But we do not represent Christ well by portraying him as milquetoast and insecure. A true encounter with him will radically change you forever. He is not “harmless.”


(UPDATE [March 30]: Read the follow-up post here)

(UPDATE #2 [May 13]: I just come across a church whose slogan is: "You won't hate us! We promise!" Seriously. Wow.)

7 comments:

Anonymous,  March 19, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

Well written, well said...Amen, the truth always hurts, but people! it's the truth of our Lord!

kaymc March 19, 2010 at 1:23 PM  

Good post. I internalized this...taking a look at my own life. Do I represent Christ radically well? Or am I so worried about what people think that I am as harmless as a...well, a bunny!

Mike Moses March 19, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

Kathy, that is exactly the point. The fear of man that we all struggle with so often leads us to avoid confronting people with the offense of the gospel. Though when I give in to that fear of man I am actually loving myself, not others. And I am certainly not loving God.

Anonymous,  March 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM  

good article

Mike Moses March 24, 2010 at 11:34 AM  

http://sharperiron.org/article/jesus-did-not-wear-kick-me-sign

Anonymous,  March 27, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

Amen brother mike. I don't know what's more detrimental to the Gospel, "Peeps" or "Miracle" crusades. Well it might not be an either/or situation, it's probably both. Jesus is Lord. It is truly unfortunate that people who claim to follow Him are not aware of the fact of the Lordship of Christ, perhaps if they were, the people with such advertisements would stop embarrassing the true Church that follows HIM.

Damon Musselman May 4, 2011 at 3:31 PM  

The thing about it is it's not "the offense of the gospel", as Mike puts it, that drives people away from Christ. The message that many "Christians" put out does that. For example, when a highly visible ambassador of Christianity such as Pat Robertson blames the horrific tragedy of the 2010 Haitian earthquake on the fictional "pact w/ Satan" some Hatians supposedly made - in 1792 - instead of expressing compassion and offering prayer and aid, that gives the entire faith a black eye in the eyes of the non-Christians of the world. Add in to that what Rev. Phelps and Westboro Baptist are doing, the Pastor at Faithful Word Baptist in Tempe, AZ who prays for President Obama's death, Rev. Terry Jones - our Koran-burning "friend" in Florida - and it's little wonder that a church felt the need for such an ad.
A recent study showed that the top 3 perceptions of Christians in the US among young non-Christians are that Christians are: (1) anti-gay,(2)harshly judgmental, and (3) hypocritical. So what we have here is an image crisis, and much of it, I'm sorry to say, is well-deserved.
We as Christians need to do a MUCH better job of policing our own faith in terms of what messages go out. The more we permit "God-as-vengeful-monster" messages to go out, the more hateful messages we let pastors get away with, the harder it's going to be to get people to open their ears, minds, and hearts to the Good News and the Truth of Christ's compassion and love.

Post a Comment

If you don't have a username, click the drop-down box and choose "Name/URL". Just enter your name in the space.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP