A Conversation With Grace

Friday, September 13, 2013

Imagine sitting down in a coffee shop for a conversation with Grace.

“Hey Christian, how have you been lately?”

“Not so good,” you respond, head down. “I’m trying to live a life that honors God...but it’s just so difficult in this world. Temptation comes from every side. My heart still contains so much filth. I want self-control, I want righteousness. I know I was made to represent God in this world, but I find myself more in sync with the culture around me. I go after the same things my unbelieving neighbor pursues. I lust after the things my television tells me to lust after. I chase dreams my college professors tell me to chase. I commit the same sins as any ol’ heathen. Why, just the other day I lied to my parents because I wanted to hang out at my friend’s house after school. Just the other day I blew up at my husband and my kids after a long day. Just the other day I lingered in lust at an image and sinned against my wife and my God. To tell you the truth, Grace, I feel like a complete failure.”

Grace responds, “That’s not the way I taught you to live.”

“You’re right,” you say, “And I just don’t know how I can change.”

Grace smiles, places a hand on your shoulder, and points behind you. “Christian, remember when I first appeared to you? You were hopeless, dead in your sins. Waiting for the righteous wrath of God. Then in the nick of time, Jesus rescued you. He gave Himself for you on the cross. He completely forgave you! He took you just as you were and He made you a treasured child of God! Do you remember that glorious day?”

You nod your head: “That was the greatest day of my life. I’ll never forget how Jesus rescued me.”

Grace turns and points ahead. “Here’s another happy thought: In a little while, the Coming One will come and will not delay. He’s just beyond the horizon. Jesus will appear in all his glory to once and for all rescue you from this wicked world. Isn’t that a happy thought? Won’t that be a great day?”

You’re overwhelmed with gratefulness. "But I don't deserve any of this."

"I know" comes the reply. "That's why they call me Grace."

Your heart is encouraged. “Grace, that’s some great motivation to keep on going. The gospel is enough. The glory of God is enough. Jesus is enough. I’ve got better things to do than waste my time on the passions of this world. I’m ready to keep moving! I’m ready to do some good works for God’s glory!”

Grace smiles and extends a hand.

“One more thing, Christian.... Stay with me. Don’t ever turn your back on me. Even on your best days, you need me. Apart from Me, you can do nothing.”

Jesus takes your hand. And you press on, step by step with your God and Savior.


For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession who are zealous for good works. (Titus 2:11-14)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a username, click the drop-down box and choose "Name/URL". Just enter your name in the space.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP